Shiftgig staffs shifts in the experiential marketing, food service, hospitality, warehouse, and retail industries. Skills are granted based on experience, certifications, successful completion of assessments or training, and market need. Not all skills are supported in all markets. To learn more about adding skills to your profile, see How do I add skills to my profile?
Experience-based skills for Shiftgig Specialists employed by Shiftgig Bullpen Inc. include:
Food and Beverage – Back of House
- Deli Prep - Comfortable with industrial slicers and the preparation of meat and veg for deli use. Knows sandwich and salad assembly and safe storage (first in, first out) including safe storage temperatures.
- Dishwasher - Comfortable working industrial dishwashing machines and can lift industrial-sized pots and pans. Follows direction well and can work independently with limited or no supervision. Experience in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Fry Cook - Experience using restaurant grade fryer in a high-volume setting such as a fast food restaurant. Requires knowledge of proper oil cooking temperatures to manage appropriate degrees of doneness, and safe handling and disposal protocols for hot oil. Machine clean up.
- Grill Cook - Expert at grilling burgers, sausages, veg. Knows meat cooking temperatures for rare through well done. Comfortable in high pressure and high volume fast-paced environments.
- Kitchen Assistant - Can provide general kitchen help with things plating and basic production tasks, including restocking supplies, particularly for high volume catered events. Must follow directions well.
- Line Cook - Responsible for a specific station in the kitchen such as grill, stove, veg prep, etc. Follows directions well, works with minimal supervision, and comfortable in a high pressure/high volume environment.
- Porter - General labor duties as assigned including running food or supplies, event setup/breakdown/cleanup, light custodial, trash takeout. Follows direction well and can work with limited supervision.
- Prep Cook - Strong knife skills and capable of prepping/assembling food according to a recipe. Follows direction well and can work autonomously with minimum supervision.
Food and Beverage – Front of House
- Barback - Ensures bar is set up and maintained properly, including cleaning. Knowledge of bar supplies and can lift heavy items like ice buckets. Wash dishes and clear trash. Follows direction well and can work independently from a banquet event order. Comfortable in a fast-paced environment. Can lift 75 pounds safely.
- Barista - Experience operating commercial expresso machines. Can safely and efficiently prepare expresso shots and knows how to make common coffee beverages including cappuccinos and lattes as well as drip, press pot, and pour over coffees. Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Bartender - Expert on wine, beer, and all mixed drinks. Responsible for setup, cleanup, and breakdown of bar. Organized with excellent customer service, communication, and cash handling skills. Works independently and can execute a banquet event order. Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Busser - Knows how to maneuver in a busy dining room. Can clear and set tables in a formal setting without disrupting diners. Must be able to maintain server stations, restock, make silverware roll ups if needed and some light cleaning duties. Capable of standing for long periods of time, bending, pushing, and lifting catering items that may weigh up to 50lbs.
- Carver - Expert at carving and plating meat on a buffet line. Excellent customer service skills and presentation. Requires experience with non-electric carving knife.
- Cashier - Excellent cash handling skills and knowledge of cash handling best practices. Comfortable with modern POS systems. Thrives in a fast-paced environment.Concessions - Experience handling light food prep and beverage service with great customer service and communication skills. May be responsible for cash handling and assistance with station inventory controls. Must be comfortable in a high volume/pressure environment.
- Host - Experience seating customers in an organized and timely manner, including communication with management and servers to ensure efficient service. Familiarity with POS systems and table numbering plans. Excellent customer service and communication skills. Follows directions well.
- Runner - Capable of serving as the connection between FOH and BOH: can communicate information between the cooks and the servers and run food to dinner tables, buffets etc. Must have some food service knowledge and the ability to communicate with guests and coworkers. Can also do cleanup and stocking.
- Server - Comfortable with all aspects of guest service including event setup/breakdown, buffet management and buffet runner obligations, synchronized service, and serving appetizers and drinks. Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Guest Relations - Excellent customer service and communication skills. Follows directions well, including keen attention to uniform and presentation requirements. Comfortable performing a variety of roles and tasks as instructed to ensure guests have a good experience.
- Hotel Housekeeper - Full service cleaning including floors, surfaces, windows, furniture, bedrooms, bathrooms. Knows best practices for safely handling cleaning supplies. Follows direction well and works independently. Changes light bulbs and bed linens, and keeps rooms stocked and staged according to hotel brand guidelines. Comfortable in a fast-paced high-volume environment and can flip rooms in ~30 mins or faster while maintaining high quality standards.
- Houseman - Experience with general labor and custodial duties in a hotel. Ability to clean furnishing, carpets, rooms including linens, bathrooms, work areas, and empty trash. Knowledge of safe usage and handling procedures for cleaning supplies. May assist with laundry, snow removal, or even front desk or bellman duties as required.
Labor and Custodial
- Custodian - Mopping, sweeping, and comfortable with industrial cleaning machines including floor polishers. Knows safe handling of cleaning supplies and chemicals. Can lift 50+ pounds. Takes direction well and can work independently.
- General Labor - Ability to lift 50 pounds safely and repeatedly. General set up, tear down, cleaning, moving, and overall support for a variety of different roles.
- General Labor, Heavy - Ability to handle significantly heavy loads of more than 100 pounds comfortably and safely. Experience with load-assistance equipment like pallet movers. General set up, tear down, cleaning, moving, and overall support for a variety of different roles.
Office and Customer Service
- Call Center - Excellent customer service and communication skills including good grammar. 40+ WPM typing and can multitask. Comfortable working on a computer and familiar with Microsoft Office. Impeccable phone etiquette. Success working in either inbound or outbound call centers.
Warehouse and Retail
- Inventory - Experience with inventory management including packing list verification, storage, labeling, and inventory counts such as cycle counts and physical inventory audits; familiar with and capable of assisting with production and packing/shipping processes.
- Retail - Experience working in a retail environment, including clothing, grocery, appliance, department store. Excellent customer service and communication skills and knowledge of sales tactics and stocking/inventory management. Does not require cash handling skills.
- Warehouse Admin - Demonstrated experience managing daily office duties in a warehouse including overseeing inbound and outbound shipments/shipping and receiving, using Warehouse Management Systems, invoicing, dispatch. Must be comfortable working in a warehouse environment.
Experience-based skills for ShiftgigX independent contractors include:
Conventions and Events
- Convention Specialist - Reliable and capable of working fast-moving and large-scale conventions for major Associations and Organizers. Must be friendly, reliable, patient, and possess a strong work ethic.
- Event Crew - Willing and able to help with the physically demanding work of setting up and breaking down various events, such as festivals, fundraisers, and conventions.
- Festival Specialist – Proven record of success at major festivals. Must be friendly, reliable, and possess a strong work ethic. Must be willing to work outside, often standing on his or her feet, for long hours.
- Promotions - Presentable and able to represent a variety of brands in front of customers. Excellent communication skills. Friendly and extroverted. Capable of working on feet for hours at a time.
- Street Team - Proven experience working street team gigs. Outgoing, enthusiastic, and capable of grabbing the attention of the public. Has energy to work on foot for hours at a time.
- Brand Ambassador - Reliable and capable of delivering results while endorsing major Brands and their products. Able to learn about a product and promote its key features and benefits. Outgoing, enthusiastic, and physically energetic.